Saturday, February 21, 2015

When the going gets tough, the tough ..... decorate...


It was a rugged night with tons of new snow and sleet, freezing rain..  Lots of little "fires" burning on the home front that luckily have been "squelched" without any further trips to the doc. I have located a lovely little quilt to sleep under that really makes the nights on the day bed just that much more yummy. And tonight follows a day of melting snow that cascades off my roof in huge avalanches braided with hanging icicles.  Let me just say I wouldn't want to be an UPS man at my house right now.



I finally, after days of procrastination, put out a few items to decorate for one of my favorite little holidays, St. Patrick's Day. I think historically I have it all wrong because I always think of Ireland as the land of the Celts and mystic fairies, leprechauns, shillelaghs, and shenanigans. But St. Patrick is purported to have driven the "Snakes" out of Ireland, and in later years I've learned the snakes weren't exactly reptilian.  I don't know for sure.  I just love Ireland and have always felt a bond for it. My ancestors arrived here in 1604, and I'm fairly certain I'd love to live in a little cottage by the sea (if it has WiFi, of course.)



Fixing a little roast tomorrow to cozy up lunch with my son, Mama, and whoever the North wind blows in. I'm loving the cool green hues slowly replacing my vibrant reds I had everywhere for Valentine's Day.


Enjoy any warmth you can find.  My particular poison tonight is a wee cup of  peppermint tea laced with raw Colorado honey. I haven't brewed it yet, but I hear it calling my name pretty darn loud!


My sister/cousin made the pretty greenwork sampler and the felt shamrock, and a dear friend gave me the Celtic cross.  Our "family" of almost son and his dear Irish bride gave me the ornaments in the pretty shamrock box.  I became friends with the leprechaun from Mom's garden, and he informed me he'd love to join my party if I'd let him stay inside during the winter's snows.


Somewhere, and I'd love to know where, I have a box of tiny leprechauns I collected my whole entire life before moving in with Mom. I'm not sure how to ever find them because all the things at home have been shifted, stashed, and generally... misplaced.  I don't see how my son has managed to stand that house with all its frippery and frou frou.  He does the best he can, but since he's about six foot, five, he doesn't look the type for miniature leprechauns.


Are you all interested in Pinterest?  I love to look, but I've actually never quite figured out how to pin something of mine, and I don't really ever make anything I see on there.  My boards are fun to look at, but in a way, Pinterest makes me feel kind of ... inadequate. Honestly, right now I can't get the pin off my mind that takes marbles and shapes cupcake wrappers in the shape of shamrocks, dyes the batter green... dips an oreo and makes a pot of gold...  I am lucky to have a green salad any more. Although I used to do a lot of Irish menus.



I always had an Irish menu and invited my mom and dad and gramma to supper on St. Patrick's Day. A Few times I even tried to make Irish soda bread, but it never really turned out very delicious. Irish stew was always the real hit because my daddy loved anything remotely beef. And the year I tinted the potatoes a bit green was not overwhelmingly a success because everyone swore they could taste the tint.  Who knows for sure?


Well, we have a couple weeks or more before I have to dig out that green dye and go after some poor unsuspecting pale menu item. What kind of things do you fix for the "small" holidays?

Whimsy and Hugs!

1 comment:

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

"...I think historically I have it all wrong because I always think of Ireland as the land of the Celts and mystic fairies, leprechauns, shillelaghs, and shenanigans. But St. Patrick is purported to have driven the "Snakes" out of Ireland, and in later years I've learned the snakes weren't exactly reptilian."

yeah, leave it to the church, to mess things up. bahhhhh humbug!

ohhh, snakes were not snakes hu? and what pray tell, were they? oh I know. all the old ways.

but funny, isn't it? scratch an old church over there, on the isle... and you'll find it was built, on the site of a Pagan sacred spot. how about that???? LOL!!!!