Thursday, February 12, 2015

Winter Nights

Just the kind of cold, I mean uber-cold, night to light some candles, stir some soup, and watch a movie on the Hallmark Channel with Mama.

Thinking of school lately.  These winter months were always full of basketball and lots of fun. I've even been dreaming about school.  Today is Homecoming at Bevier... and evidently Valentine parties, early out and teacher conferences...

I had a lot of fun conferences--- and a few unbelievable ones.  I'll never forget the little mother who took my grade and said, "Well, that makes all F ' s for my son." I awkwardly wondered what kind of punishment might be in the wings. But she then said. "Douglas won't be in school tomorrow. This decides it." My mind races. .. are they moving?  Is she killing her boy?  Then,  "We will be getting him a four-wheeler tomorrow."  I'm sure I had the stun-gun look...  She finished brightly as she smiled to get up, "We need something to ground him from...for motivation, you know." I remember  nodding ... and I don't think Douglas  ever got another F in my class ...  ???
Then another time I greeted a little mom with,  "I just enjoy your son so much. He is getting an A. He is my top student.  She sighed sadly  and shook her head.... "No, I'm  Bobby Green's mother."  When I assured her that I meant..... indeed her son, the one and only Bobby Green, she grabbed the card, began to sob uncontrollably, and said, "I at last have something to put on the refrigerator!. ... first time in 11 years!"...  Bobby almost didn't finish school, but he did make her fridge ....one time.

I've never liked grade conferences, so I won't over romanticize it now. I've been praised, thanked, blamed, cussed, cursed, and blessed. Sometimes an A makes the parent mad because they really don't think I challenged Tasha enough... Sometimes the parent is so mad at the student I feel led to intermediate and save the sad little do-nothing from steam and torture. Lots of times I've had the parent as a student and can't believe he or she can't remember antics pulled a generation ago! I've had the principal save me. I have had beautiful moments of being on the same page... But mostly I didn't like conferences. They are awkward moments of mental dance with parents who feel defensive and protective, embarrassed or proud. ..  just usually uncomfortable confrontations blended with friendly chat. ...  and truly brutal, uncomfortable chairs for hours on end.
Enjoy the chill....

1 comment:

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

lovely photos...

interesting memories...

good plans, for a frigid night...

ahhh yes, the ice, ice, ice and snow, snow, snow is with us. and the frigid temps continue. I'd be a lot more "able" to handle this long winter, if not for all the various cold type sickness, about. bleahhhhhhh...

enjoy your soup and Hallmark Ch. and candles. and your warm and cozy home. we really are so lucky, that way. and yet I complain, like I did. ,-)