Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Brief Message of Our Status

We are in the hospital.

On Thanksgiving, right after I fixed a little lunch of Mama's favorite snacks, I said, "It's ready." She stood up to make a restroom break, lost her balance, and fell right before my horrified eyes. She fell so hard, hit her back on an ottoman, broke her glasses and was bleeding on the floor. I called 911. They made the call to go 50 miles to a Trauma Center.

She has two broken ribs, some broken bones in spine, and a hematoma on her back roughly the size of a beach ball. For a day or two it looked as if internal bleeding would require surgery, but it stopped. Had transfusions and had platelets.

Spent the weekend in ICU and surgical intensive care. Monday we were discharged to travel by ambulance to Local Swingbed (20 days moderate care) before we hope to come home. Ambulance took 9 hours to be available today, and the ride made her nauseated. I sent my son home. He has been her rock, the only person she would let lift her. Understandably, she doesn't want to fall again, and she cannot tolerate pressure on that poor, little back. He is patient, gentle, strong... A true gem.

I'm sitting by a beautiful window overlooking my home town. Mom is sleeping. The hospital staff has been overall excellent in both facilities. A couple of snafus, but mostly good, better, and great! My friends and sister/cousin, all of them, {@ } have been my constant supporters. They have visited, sat with me, called, texted, gifted, and prayed. From here I can go home often at all hours of day and night, too. Ready and hopeful for a fairly speedy recuperation! Prayers and positive good wishes will be treasured.

In the meantime and certainly so very important to me, I lost one of my dearest friends on Friday. I will forever miss her sparkle. Whenever you see a Full Moon, think of my dear Nellie. I heard she was waving at me and blowing a kiss the last time I talked to her daughters. How sweet can that memory be?

 

 

5 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Gayla, I am so sorry to hear this news. So glad you have the support of loved ones around you. Best wishes and prayers for your dear mama. Sorry you lost a dear friend, too. Twyla

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

Ohhhhhh, my Dear.... I am so very sorry for all this trauma in your life. And of course, in your Mama's life.

So glad that people are rallying around, as they should.

And happy that from there, you can go home, now and then. I think that makes a difference, for you... The main caretaker.

Many gentle hugs, and good wishes,
Tessa~

Helen said...

Sending love, hope, prayers, joy, faith and energy your way,
Love
Helen

Becky K. said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend as well as the really horrible Thanksgiving. I hope that today finds things improving more and more. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Gayla,
I am saddened and shocked to hear about your mother's fall and all that you two are going through. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery from here on out. With love, Ellen