Thursday, November 6, 2014

Frost Moon... Musing with the Moonbeams

So, my friend Tessa From HERE THERE BE MUSING told me this was the frost moon... I love the names given to each full moon! They are just that personal to me. The time change sees me getting up at five... I was a six o'clock riser for several years now, and retirement really hasn't added a lot of snooze in time... Unless you count a nap in the smack middle of the day! However, I was clambering out of bed when I looked out the window at that huge setting moon! "Hello, Beautiful!" I nearly screamed it. I certainly told the moon hello right out loud! I tried to call my son, but his wavelength wasn't hearing the phone right then. So I grabbed a picture through my window and sent a text!

 

In about four minutes the clouds actually skittered over the surface, and the day was pretty cloudy off and on. Mama has been fighting a cold she must have gathered as a Trick or Treat. It's better, I think. She has grown tired of my ever-constant perscription of Vicks Vapor Rub. Oh, how I swear by that stuff... I apologize to my friends and family. I'm kind of an advocate to it just as my ninety-seven year old neighbor in Macon during the seventies was an advocate of 'kerosene' on everything. His old voice was cracked and hoarse, and his eyesight was failing. He put drops of kerosene in his eyes (!), and he brushed his teeth with a toothbrush soaked in it. Hmmm... My Sherlock tells me there could be some message to that, but he was a neat old man. He and I were a pair. I once called his son to come help. I had overheard lots of wild splashing through the old man's window to the bathroom. Then... Repeated screams and garbled sounds. Yep. That old bird was taking a bath and just singing his heart out.


His son didn't think too much of me really. The elderly neighbor used to walk to the corner and back with two canes every clear day. Sometimes he made his way to my porch for a doughnut. Yep. Diabetic, for sure. One day he came to me in tears. He swore to me his kids had changed his locks. He had me prove it because he insisted the key to his front door had a bread wrapper tie twisted around it.. Nope. No, sir. That key did not fit. I was pretty mad at those kids. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. My daddy had shown me how to take a door off at the hinges. I proceeded to assist that old neighbor by removing his screen door and his heavy back door. I recall another neighbor stopping to inform me that I must be nuts. But dear, elderly, God rest his soul, Mr. Neighbor... He though I was a hero! That's until at the last possible moment he shoved a skinny fist deeper in his old coat pocket. "Oh, nooooo. Lookee here!" Yep. There was yet another key with a bread wrapper twistie tie... Now, my daddy had not yet educated me in the process to rehang that door, and the neighbor was still not having any part of it, so I again called that son.


His son didn't think too much of me really. No good reason that I can think of. Do you think?

I'm going to regroup my thoughts this cold, frost moon. It was more than fun to remember that olden neighbor back when I was in my twenties... Every time I "fanatic" obsess about Vicks and get those looks, I remember him... Although I do not wrap twisty ties around keys or sip kerosene... Or sing in the tub.


Tonight's moonrise was brief and spectacular. I have a little pinchy-nerve issue with my lower back, so I didn't get to go outside to take the pictures of my dreams. Just snapped this one from Mom's kitchen. That headlight-looking-beautiful-thing Through the window is the moon. She was there for long enough that I texted my son and phoned a fellow moon lover to go look, go look! .... Then clouds covered that silvery-beautiful face once more.


 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the amazing moon and your elderly neighbor stories.
- Ellen :)

NanaDiana said...

That elderly neighbor was hysterical. Love the stories around him..and you...and the son!

I got a pretty good picture of the moon on the water here after the clouds lifted. xo Diana

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

Yes, the weather made us have to be quick, to catch The Lady Moon in all her full glory, this month!!!

I saw her, near-full-blown, on Wed. night. Lovely...

And love the memories, which came to you. Fun to trigger memories, now and then.

Hope Mama beats this cold, soon. I'm doing the same thing... Just a twinge of a cold. Resting and gargling throat with salt water. (That's an old one, from my pharmacist husband!) And I too love the smell of Vicks!

Happy Nov. weekend!
Tessa~

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Gayla, your stories have made my day :) Twyla

bj said...

I saw that bright, big ole moon.
"I love the moon,
the moon loves me...
xoxo