Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Have you ever...?

June, beautiful Summer...  Friday brings the longest day, the shortest night...  Midsummer...  Even though it is the first day?  I might have that wrong...  I'll sure check that out.

Have you ever frolicked in the woods after dark?  Any form of hunting DOES NOT count....  I'm thinking I never really did that.  I once walked my country gravel road alone super late...  The coyotes howled, and quite possibly wolves...  I know I walked faster and faster and was relieved to see the lights of my house...  I don't guess that was a frolic.  My own home was built very close to a grove of trees coming out of the woods.  So many nights I sat alone, yet completely radiantly happy on my deck...  I could light my chiminea, drink a huge iced tea...  And watch the shadows of those same coyotes, wolves, even maybe a bobcat...  Their cries softened as they went by my house, then once past, reverberated with even more confidence into the clear moonlight...

Long ago when he was very young, my son was the ultimate fan of Batman...  Hot and sweaty, happy with a full day of play, he sometimes sat with me watching our favorite heavenly object...  The huge and glorious moon.  I could sense him, softly leaning in to gaze in my eyes, a little giggle forming around his mouth....  "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?" ( the Joker's famous line)...  We tried to keep straight faces, but soon laughter and little boy and mama giggles  had us...

Oh, yeah...  I love summer...

1 comment:

From My Country Sunrise said...

Love your pictures and the first day of summer~~Our drive was fun today!!