Monday, February 4, 2013

What we prepare....

I have issues.  That is the plain truth.  I have issues with life...  Today was a teacher in-service, and I simply do not cope well...  Any more.  In the first years of my life as a teacher, these meetings focused on different ways to reach those hard-to-teach young persons in our classes.  They inspired.  They innovated.  We learned discipline.  Today?  Federal and state testing...  And a brain bomb of what to do if...  A shooter...  Sandy Hill....  Could we need this?  Sadly, yeah...  Can I digest it and move through and sort of engage and sort of shrug?  Sadly, my thoughts won't let me cope, discuss..  Faces and snippets of literature, events from my past...  All these swirls of emotional, feathered things are pecking at my heart and soul and inner eyes.  I hope I have the flu because I feel so ill....

2 comments:

Becky K. said...

So much has changed. Not for the better. I really marvel that anyone has time to teach in a captivating way at all with all of the distractions, deadlines and dangers.

I admire you.

Praying that you find your way through the yuck to continue inspiring this next generation.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I just don't know if I could go back to the classroom the way things are now, especially in a public school.

As I'm reading this post, the tornado sirens are gong off for the monthly test...they always scare me to death!

Your meeting sounded stressful. I hope you're feeling better soon!