Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bevier Homecoming...

 First full week of August brings this area the wonderful Bevier Homecoming.  Originally intended to provide a unified time of year for scattered families to get together with loved ones at home, this event has supernatural powers over the community members in our small town...  We watch for it, buy outfits for each night, prepare for floats, and generally lay out the month of August as a canvas for this once-a-year festival.
 Today was the brunch, and I made my usual little tags...  I don't know why I make these almost every year, but I just enjoy providing something to have at each place.  Every year we hear new stories about the importance of Homecomings past, and the year's activities for all our friends...

For those who are night owls, the Homecoming is something of a treat.  Although I don't participate in the night's activities while I'm living at Mom's, I remember those crisp, cool groupings under the stars, the zing of the electric lights on carnival rides, and the World-Famous Homecoming hamburgers, funnel cakes, and occasional corn dog...  Townspeople began lining up their folding chairs on Monday, maybe even Sunday..  They often loop the legs through and through with locked ropes, not so much to prevent theft...  but to ensure nobody moves the chairs from the opportune vantage...
Wednesday night is a rock and roll favorite, Krazy Kats...  and Thursday night is local entertainment and the Queen contest...  Friday and Saturday will be Nashville stars and the big parade...  Then the Homecoming will pack up and move out of the park to make way for the next big event...  Back to School...

Yep, I'll be participating in that one!  haha..

No comments: