Monday, July 18, 2011

Moving! Shady Peanut Lane is on the Prowl...

 I have had a shop in Bevier for several years...  six or seven, actually.  I haven't been in the shop in 18 months, and then only once in the past 30...  I just don't have time to go over.  Mom was sick one summer...  These photos were taken in the heyday of the shop, about 2007... obviously at Christmas in Bevier...
 This year the city has installed new sidewalks and ramps and it has been rather mixed up..  I don't feel comfortable opening up with the ramps as tall as they are and the banisters not installed yet...
 I have been thinking a lot about moving some of the items here and maybe opening a little shop in Dad's barn or somewhere here...  Anyway, the rent per month, although not very high, is wasted on that shop.  What should have been a no-brainer has taken me a long time to give up...
Today, I made the calls, made the decision, and I'm to be out by the time school starts..  I feel really okay with this.  My usual method of dealing with change is to stall it (as is obvious) as long as possible.  One of my decisions this summer has been to move on through some of the debilitating mind sets that are tangling the new ideas that might come..  This shop was so much fun.  I loved the whole thing...  Friends came and sat to visit, drank tea...  just a lot of fun...  but it hasn't been like that in years, so it's time to have fun in another direction...  I plan to donate some of the items to a church rummage sale...  and then pack some for another shop or resale here.  My boys from school are going to move some of the heavier items...

Shady Peanut Lane, actually named for a long stretch of land with brush along either side, is a term coined by my grandfather...  We enjoyed our summers on a little gray tractor humming through the brush counting the angus cattle and dreaming about the cool, dark, shady glen where we'd set out the double cola and cheese n' crackers packed so sweetly in a red, white, and blue celluloid pocketbook....  by my gramma.

Now that is real shade...  That kind of shade cools us for the rest of our lives...  That is the kind of shade that walks me through the past unbelievable 40 years since I saw my grandfather on this earth..  That's the kind of shade I fully expect to enjoy on Heaven's lawn...

Aw...  who am I kidding?  Change is tough for me...  But it's time.

1 comment:

Becky K. said...

It would be so cool to set it up there at the homestead. I'll bet your friends would love an excuse to pop by and visit, share a cup of something and shop.

Change is hard!! You've had your share in the years since I've "known" you here in Blogland.