Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Rock and Roll at 12 midnight...

 Most birthday traditions involve cake and ice cream, pretty flowers...  stuff like that.  My family has its share of beautiful and magical traditions for birthdays, I'm not saying we don't...  But one tradition is a bit scary.  Since I have been a little girl, since I'm born at the end of stormy June and the beginning of turbulent July, we always have some kind of a whopper storm...
 Sunday night at Midnight, the winds hit.  They rocked and rolled these trees down the sides of the house and over the metal roof.  The windows howled, and I went upstairs to find Mom.  She was out in the living room and looking out the window...  Stuff was flying everywhere.
 Last summer's storm took 13 trees from our yard.  This year's was minor comparatively.  However, some of our friends lost buildings, hay equipment, silos, corn bins, even a new barn... Many giant trees are now no more...
 The radio announcer called it a "rain-wrapped tornado" but then later they say straight wind...  The damage is rather spotty--- bad in one place and perfect the next...  Sounds tornado-ish to me...  Just sayin', Mr. Weatherman...
 We were out of power for about 16 hours...  Mom and I took a drive yesterday to see the trees and damage...  Some of it was pretty overwhelming...  Huge billboards just ripped from the ground!  Today it is beautiful...

My wonderful cousin and her hubby came down this morning and cut up these branches and worked special magic on the yard..  We are so grateful!


 All I can say is it's a good thing the fairies had their bash a few nights ago...  The tree is a mess now!
In our area, we were blessed...  No injuries.  My son and his friends were driving and said the winds picked up his 5,000 pound truck a little...  he pulled under an overpass...  Blessings all around!  I will light a candle in gratitude...  a tradition to begin...

2 comments:

Becky K. said...

Wow! That was bad. Glad your son and friends were safe. I recently heard that an underpass is one of the worst places to be during a tornado. You might want to check into that for any future events.

Happy Birthday to you........

Thanks for your very kind comment.
It brought a tear to my eye.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I am happy your house is okay, but you have a mess to clean up!