Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Kindness of Others...

 I know that all of you do many, many things for your friends and family. Let me tell you that all we do for each other is GREATLY for the good of those of us who are swimming in deep water for a little bit...  Today was Doll Club, and although I was supposed to be cooking away today for my mother and I to host it, it was not to be.  Due to Mom's health, we just couldn't do it.  On the spur of the moment our dear friend *and reader of this blog took on the responsibility of having club...  I know her house was beautiful...  I went to school today, and Mom stayed home.. We both felt bad because we really enjoy the October meeting (it's the one with the presents for secret pals)...
 Our friends who attended the luncheon dropped off our gifts during the afternoon before I got home from school, and they visited Mom a bit and brought the festivities to her.  What a treat.  During the day a dear friend thoughtfully brought me by her Italian Salad...  I think she knew I was feeling a bit down and out with my lonely little peanut butter sandwich and thermos of hot coffee...  I mean, I would have been stewing and foo-fooing up a storm, but we weren't..
 Then, after I got home and Mom and I were having a little bite of Schwann's Sweet and Sour Chicken (yum-o!)...  the hostess of Doll Club, our dear friend...  arrived with treats and delicacies from the meeting.  She brought pumpkin pie, fruit punch, candies, cookies, bonbons, sugared nuts, mints....  and her delightful presence to cheer us...  What a treasure!
 Then my cousin arrived, and we had an impromptu party with all the goodies....  That was such a treat...  All in all, Mom didn't feel a bit left out today, and we SO much appreciated everyone's kindness.
 I had experienced that kind of day at school that makes a person just want to throw in the towel and give up.  Frankly, some of the coworkers and powers that be were just plain rude to me.  There is a way to help someone out when they make an error (computer grade error) and there is a way to make them feel as if their blunder just crashed two 747 airliners...  Two of my colleagues chose the aircraft treatment...  but luckily one sweet lady who works very hard on all the grades told me it was a two minute fix...
She was so kind and helpful and sweet...  It made it all worthwhile..  My point to all this rambling is that our actions and our reactions mean so very much, both to the good and to the debilitating...  We have it in our power to bring life or a numbing dread...  May I always try to bring that light and life into the lives of others, helping them to soar on wings like Eagles...  and may I forgive freely when I meet up with the turkeys...  Amen...

3 comments:

Maggey and Jim said...

May the rest of your week soar on eagle wings and that was lovely.. Well wishes to your Mother..
Maggey

Becky K. said...

A great reminder, Gayla. Thanks for sharing. I am sorry that your Mother is still not feeling well, but I am so grateful that you have such delightful friends.

Becky K.

Laurie - Lolo So Retro said...

Gayla,
I am sorry that your mother is not feeling well and that you both missed the doll club meeting. I am sure you were both looking forward to it! So sweet of your friends to remember you and to find a way to share the fun and the goodies with you. I love that!

I work at a school (attendance clerk) and I totally know what you are talking about when it comes to how people are treated. Some fellow office workers can be so rude to the teachers for no good reason. Why make someone feel bad? I may have been like this at some point in my life, but no more. It isn't helpful, it's hurtful, and it demeans everyone. I am sorry you were a victim of someone else's ugliness.
Laurie S.