Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas


a


I am participating in Kelly Minter's Living Room Series Bible Study on Ruth. We do the workbook as "siestas" (sisters) on the Living Proof Live Blog, and then every two weeks we check in and "discuss" in our comments. This is a really great study about one of my favorite women in the Bible. And Kelly always adds stories about her childhood and recipes in case we are taking it as small groups and want to fix lunch! I'm going solo on the study, but I decided to make her Week One Enchiladas. I did a few changes, as I always do, for convenience and to modify for a bigger group (our Sunday family dinner)... This recipe is a keeper with rave reviews from everyone ranging from age 7 to age 86. Her recipe is in the book, and this is the one I changed to fit our family of seven-eight. We had leftovers, but we like that! I called myself Lucia as I worked because I love that name, and I set the table with bright yellows. I'll post my tablescape tomorrow!
---------------------------------------
Chicken Enchiladas
preheat oven to 350 degrees

Chicken breasts (I used about 7 very large ones, frozen in sack)
4-6 cups chicken broth (I used the water after I boiled the chicken, but you can use other broth or canned)
10-12 burrito size flour tortillas
jar mild picante sauce (hot if you're daring!)
1 pkg. McCormick's chicken taco seasoning mix (Kelly uses cilantro and cumin)
3 heaping T. flour
1 stick butter
1-2 c. sour cream
optional can of black beans (I served on the side because we have black bean dislikers in our family)
a few handfuls of grated Monterrey Jack/Cheddar cheese from those pre-shredded pkgs. (or can use your own grated favorite)
------------------------
Boil chicken in 6-8 c. water (salt if desired. I did). Cut up chicken into bite size shreds and reserve broth. Add more from can or water and/or bouillon to make enough broth.

With wire whisk, whisk flour into butter over low heat and simmer until thick. Add broth to make a "gravy." Cook until slightly thickened. Add and whisk the sour cream but do not boil after this step. I used 16 oz. tub of sour cream, but I think Kelly uses less.

Roll up enchiladas. Place a nice amount of chicken, a few T. cheese, and a couple T. picante sauce on each tortilla and roll. Put seam side down in sprayed 9 x 13 casserole. Squeeze in as many as you can. I got in 8 and made two in a separate bread pan. Pour gravy over it as much as you can get in. Cover completely and let set for 15-20 minutes. Cover with a few handfuls of grated cheese and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until bubbly and brown. Yum!

2 comments:

Rose Garden Malevik said...

Nice Blog :)
Hugs from Sweden
HÃ¥kan

Becky K. said...

My mouth is watering now! Oh, that looks great!!!!!

Becky K.