Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fury from the North

So, Mom and I were sitting on the front porch and discussing the flowers. We voted to give them a quick water in case it didn't rain. A few clouds were gathering faintly blue in the North. "If it comes from the North, it will be a doozy!" said I.
"Yep," Mom agreed. Fifteen minutes later we were scrambling inside for the hall closet, no time for the basement! Either a small tornado or a mammoth straight wind blew through with fierceness like I hadn't seen in years, maybe ever.
Nearly every tree we have blew down, at the half-way point. I watched them knuckle over in the wind... No lights, finally it was over and we assessed the damages, feeling beautifully blessed and grateful to have a home and a roof. The furniture on our front porch blew from the porch to the front yard and was neatly rearranged... all the flowers were off the porch, and the trees fell on the lilies, the roses... you name it.

Neighbors, cousins, and my son came to call and give us some moral support. Tomorrow we'll call the proper worker bees and begin this huge cleanup. I believe the fairies will have quite the time finding their particular trees tonight... Three posts in one day! Whoo Whoo... That makes up for not doing one in several days...

3 comments:

Becky K. said...

Oh Gayla,
I am so glad you are o.k!

How sad to see the damage.
Maybe you can show us more pictures as it gets cleaned up....

We had a tornado warning the other evening and I was in the basement. Warren was driving home in it.
He said that for a time it was very scary.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Wow Gayla...that was some storm! We get damage from our monsoons also....I hate when it damages trees...glad you are ok!

Maggey and Jim said...

I am really sorry , hope you get some help with all that. Storms have been terrible this year. I have been off due to virus protection prob, but fixed now, I hope. I will be praying for you and your Mother..
Hugs,
Maggey