Monday, October 5, 2009

They flu the coop!

Okay, so they weren't kidding when they said the flu bug was going to be huge this year! In my tiny high school (population less than 125 students), over 50 were out this morning, and they were dropping like flies! They had temps, or the acting nurse wouldn't have let them go home. I say acting because our actual nurse was out sick!!! And about four or five teachers. My classes were so small, and it was difficult to think what to do with them because we didn't want to just sit, didn't want to do something that the other half would miss... I think a few of my girls came who were very ill because they were in an important softball game tonight and didn't want to miss it... So, they will get sicker in the cold night air... and more will follow. It's crazy. So far, fingers crossed, I feel fine. Flu shot for Mom on Thursday, I think. I may or may not get one. I dunno... Is it H1N1? I dunno... Who can you believe on that? Anyway, it was quite a day, and I'm glad it's over! (They're all like that any more for some odd reason. That's not the way I like to live!)
*** UPDATE: Many of the cases have been confirmed as the swine flu, or H1N1. Oh, dear. I kind of wish we'd cancel school until the flurry dies down, but I guess that's not what the World Health Organization is recommending. I hate to use my days when I'm not sick and then have zero days left when and if I do get it... So, unless I'm sick, I guess I'll go. I called the doctor, and he thought the school should cancel since they had such a high percentage outbreak. I dunno....

6 comments:

Lisa Pogue said...

You NEED to get BOTH flu shots woman!!! Really you do!!!

Megan said...

I can't believe they aren't even considering shutting down to actually CLEAN the entire place. Lord knows that DEFINITELY needs to be done!!! I'm completely with you on this one, Gayla!

Cindy said...

I heard if you have a temp and a cough right now then it's the swine flu because nothing else is going around this early. My son had it and so did my ex-sister-in-law. She was in the hospital for a week but she has really bad asthma. I sure hope you don't get it!!

Melinda said...

WASH, WASH, WASH those hands. Stay away from the sickies!

Good Luck!

Melinda

PS--I came over from Domestic Designer

Becky K. said...

Good Grief! That is an amazing amount of sick people. It must be very, very contagious!

Stay well!

Becky

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Praying you do not get it...hugs...m...