Saturday, September 19, 2009

Lifelong Buddies




So... I took my mom to the Crossroads Restaurant and met a group of retired telephone employees who are friends. They used to work with my dad, and the group meets about once a month for lunch. I enjoy each and every one of them, but today held a fantastic surprise. We were all sitting there when around the corner came the daughter of one of my dad's best friends... I hadn't seen Jan in YEARS. We were buddies from the time I was born, and we used to play such wonderful games together... We played Flora Fauna and Merriweather (I'm thinking we made her unfortunate baby brother be one of those fairies???)... we had Barbies. We rode bikes. We ate yellow pear tomatoes... and we, as all good, truly good friends can do.... we picked up as if we'd never been apart... After my initial meltdown to see her walking in ... WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!!! I was so excited I couldn't think of my own name for a minute or two... You should have heard me try to think of the word "cauliflower" to identify the little bits of crunch goodness I had just ordered for our appetizer!!!!
Jan brought me a gift... This little valentine had my name scrawling across the back in much worn pencil.... I think it was a prior to school printing of mine, so that puts it at at least a half century old!!! whooo whoooo!!!
We ended the day with a little dip into Randolph Mercantile, the best store in the world!! I bought some dip mixes, a string of brown-cord lights, and a bag of autumn potpourri.... Oh, and a little crow pumpkin.... Of course, a little crow would have to caw his way into my heart.
Have a great day. I'm going to try and find the Mizzou Tigers on TV or radio... Happy weekend!

1 comment:

Becky K. said...

It is soooo fun to see friends from the "good old days". How fun that Jan surprised you.

Becky K.