Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Gramma's Zucchini Casserole

I think my mom is feeling better! Joy! Joy! Today while I was working downstairs and reorganizing for the twelfth time this summer, I began to smell something delicious baking. It was my gramma's recipe for zucchini casserole, which I hadn't made in years, if ever. It's kind of like a heavy quiche and I think really good. You can add other vegetables in a bit if you would like, such as celery, grated carrot... but ours was just like the recipe tonight, and I thought it was quite the treat. Of course, to me, the real treat was the recipe itself in Gramma's sweet handwriting... It even had little scribbles, due to her hurry to "get it down off the radio," not to mention a few butter stains. How dear!
------------------------------------------------
Minnie Samantha's Zucchini Casserole

3 cups sliced/cubed zucchini

1 1/2 c. saltine cracker crumbs

3 beaten eggs

1/2 c. melted butter

1/2 t. salt

dash pepper

4 oz. jar of pimiento or 1/2 bell pepper, chopped (we used green pepper, but red would have been beautiful!

1 small onion, chopped

1 c. milk

2 c. shredded cheese

Mix all together, pouring in a well-buttered baking dish. Bake uncovered for 1 hr. or golden brown at 300 degrees. To hasten time for baking, boil zucchini until stick tender on top of stove and drain well. You may substitute eggplant or summer squash if desired.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I love old recipes in our beloved's handwriting, too! The recipe sounds delicious...I'm definitely going to try it soon! :)

Allidink said...

That sounds delicious! Love the old worn recipe card :)

All the best,
Allison