Monday, June 29, 2009

Can't Drive 55.... But I can Be it...


Acres of beautiful lilies!!! What a sight...
This was a working plantation with lots of buildings from it still standing...




To a farmer's daughter, this corn is as beautiful as a lily!! (almost!)

Hello, all... Guess what today is?!!! Yeah.. My mom's 85th and my 55th birthday! We celebrated two days this year because yesterday we had gifts and my son and a couple friends were here.. We tried barbecue number 2 of the season, but grrrr! After he loaded up the grill, we discovered we were out of propane. Again, the burgers and hot dogs came flying in with him in a very sad, raw condition. But this time we had a new grill pan, some delicious home made barbecue sauce, and we grilled indoors. I had made a taco dip, and we had scalloped potatoes, baked beans, buns, a huge layered lettuce salad, iced tea, chocolate cake and cool whip... deviled eggs.. quite the spread. I got a lot of cool gifts. One is the purse here. It was from Mom, and I just love it... I'll save the others for some other posts.
Today, though, Mom and I decided to take a detour after her treatment. We went to Armstrong, MO, to the Lilywood Farms lily plantation. BEAUTIFUL. These photos don't do it justice... acres of lilies in bloom. You can check out their website HERE. The owners are so sweet. You can walk around and look at their planting beds with new hybrids and little lilies, huge dahlia dinner plate lilies... We got a price list and will probably make a little order online. They have festivals around these two weekends every year. This is the height of their glory... Solomon in all of his glory was NOT arrayed as one of these... they toil not, neither do they spin... but they are simply fantastic.

6 comments:

Betty said...

Hey, Gayla, happy, happy birthday to you and your mom! Sounds like you've had a fun day and received some neat stuff. Enjoy your evening!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to both of you. Sounds like you've been have super yummy food and a lot of fun. Best way to celebrate. Hugs, Marty

Lisa Pogue said...

I'll Be BAC!! Pictures are not loading correctly on Blogger for me tonight, I don't know what's wrong. Sounds like you had a great birthday! I must go to Armstrong and see the lilies. I will die for Casablancas. Mine look like they need another 2 weeks to be ready to bloom. Can't wait to see your purse and other goodies!! I'll BE BAC!! Happy Birthday!! PS, I've always told my other friends that you are 13 years older than me. I guess I figured wrong huh. I'll just leave it at 13!!

Allidink said...

Happy Birthday to you guys!!!!! What a nice time it sounds like you had :) That plantation looks awesome!

All the best,
Allison

celtic_banshee said...

Happy birthdays to the two of you.
Missed it again by one day.

What a beautifull trip to that farm.
Sure best way to celebrate your birthdays.

Megan said...

Love, love, love your Kathy purse!!!