Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Calendar with no X's

Bethel is a small town a few miles from my home. Today some friends, my mother, and I decided on the spur of the moment to run over there for lunch. The restaurant there is a small, old-timey place with a daily special for $5.75. Ours today was fried chicken and 3 sides~ some chose the stewed tomatoes, but I chose the coleslaw, green beans, and mashed "taters." Then there was the giant, big-enough-for-a-whole meal, slice of home made bread. Iced tea or pink lemonade?
Fun... we drove around the area and spied these little beauties prepping for the fall season... These little pots are all full of next autumn's splendor, crysanthemums! I cannot imagine how beautiful they'll be in full bloom! A quick tour around Shelbina Lake and we were home.
I laughingly told my mother how much I love to stay at home... I dearly love the "go-go" things we do, the wonderful places we visit, the beautiful homes and friends... but at least back when I had a home, I also dearly adored the days when I woke up and went back to bed at night having never left home base... just puttered and fiddled and worked around at little projects, or on cleaning, or on organizing... or maybe took a nip at a great book... or an extra nap.... just made myself "ta home" as my grandfather used to say.... I imagine the effect wouldn't be the same in my mom's house anyway.. She was amazed at my affinity for a stay-at-home, do-nothing day, and she quickly exclaimed she'd put a big X on every "boring" day we had where we had to stay home." (I realize she has a lot of those during the school year since she doesn't drive!).... Well, to date, since school got out on May 18th, we have ZERO x's on our calendar... and with six weeks of daily radiation treatment runs, I don't foresee a summer with a bunch of x's... but thanks to dearly beloved friends and family, I have seen a summer filled with lovely ventures and visits, which I believe can be remembered and appreciated even more than a day of puttering....

4 comments:

Allidink said...

Aw, I bet you will have a lovely summer :) What a fun time it looks like you had! That lunch looks delicious. I love to stay at home and putter too lol.

All the best,
Allison

Becky K. said...

That looks like home cooking.

Would you e-mail me? I have a question for you.

beckypfa (@) yahoo.com

Becky

Flat Creek Farm said...

Love Bethel, and the Fest Hall restaurant! We've clocked a lot of time there over the past 20 years or so. And we'll be back soon for the Fiddle Fest. What lovely outings you have! -tw

Lisa Pogue said...

You Go Girl!!!