Friday, September 12, 2008

September Sun...




Evening sun on my dad's little barn. This barn, built by Dad and his Amish friends, houses a myriad of things that were dear to my dad. He planned it while recuperating from open heart surgery, and the boards came from my grandmother's two story house that was in the right of way for a highway expansion. I love it at sunset. That barrel needs to be tucked inside until the next Fourth of July. It's our base for all the fountains and rockets!!! Sunday's lunch was Taco Haystacks... Just a layered taco salad that guests build themselves with shredded lettuce, finely chopped onion, celery, tomatoes, niblet corn, red beans, shredded cheese, Doritos, and one and a half pounds of hamburger with Taco pkg. blended in.
For the sauce, mix one can Ro-tel tomatoes, one 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, and one can tomato soup. Simmer until all is blended. Spoon over salad. Some people still like to add their favorite salad dressing, and others like to leave it with this.
We had a picnic/fish fry at a neighbor's home. My mother's Sunshine Club met there to celebrate the end of summer. The night was a little brisk, but the food was delicious and the company special. Few things speak to the past like a long line of carry-in dishes at a country picnic.
And finally... I had to show you a shot from my English I class. This was a first, in all my 34 years of teaching I have never had kids write me a song... (I think they fudged a little with an old Beatles song..., but the words were changed to include a little ode to English class... What guitarists. I could listen to them play music all day. Talent! So after they picked out a James Bond theme and the Pink Panther... and some Rock... I told them to take the guitars back to their lockers because if they were in the room, I'd never get back to teaching!


2 comments:

CIELO said...

Good morning, Rosie... I too love those September sunny days... there is something in the Sept air that speaks to my heart... :) and BTH, I love that sunny back porch of your...what a lovely spot!

May the morning light feed your heart and guide your life...

cielo

Julie said...

Please keep us in your prayers - Hurricane Ike is headed straight over our farm. We expect a rocky few days with all of our animals. I will try and keep my blog updated.