Saturday, March 22, 2008

In Memory of John O'Donohue, Author

I was searcing for new and old friends and writers on the blog lists last night and discovered something very sad. One of my very favorite authors passed away quietly in his sleep during January. John O'Donohue, beloved Irish philosopher and religious writer is gone at only 53... my age.

I felt stabbed when I read that, the way a person feels when they hear bad news about someone in the community. This wonderful man was in my community of heart... His words live forever as a part of my outlook on life and on the important aspects of it. I had posted about his wonderful books here. And I ordered the last one Benedictus (a book of blessings) last night. And then there will be maybe a portion of the final one he was working on about Meister Eckhart... then no more. It truly makes me feel quite devastated, robbed in a way... This man was truly "soul brilliant." I usuall wanted to read his books aloud in order to allow my mind to absorb the concepts better. As I read and re-read the books I have through the years, more of the ideas he explains have fallen into place in my own life. He was always a long way ahead of my understanding, but he illuminated the path so beautifully. I found one of his last Benedictions on Sara Ban Breathnacht's blog, Joyful Simplicities. Finding her blog last night was a happy surprise. It speaks of her life now and touches base with all of us who have lived the Simple Abundance path for these many years. Those of use who love her will love this blog, too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
John O'Donohue's blessing~
When the light around you lessens
And your thoughts darken until
Your body feels fear turn
Cold as a stone inside.
When you find yourself bereft

Of any belief in yourself
And all you unknowingly
Leaned on has fallen.
When one voice commands

Your whole heart,
And it is raven dark,
Steady yourself and see

That it is your own thinking
That darkens your world…
Know that you are not alone

And that this darkness has purpose;
Gradually it will school your eyes
To find the one gift your life requires
Hidden within this night corner…
A new confidence will come alive

To urge you towards higher ground
Where your imagination
Will learn to engage difficulty
As its most rewarding threshold!

2 comments:

Sadiq said...

wishing peace and blessing to the tender soul of John.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.