Friday, August 31, 2007

Summer's End Soup Simmer

One of my favorite things to make is soup. I just adore all the chopping, the simmering, and the flavoring of it. On Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, I grabbed a few hours of sleep/down time in my own house (I've been staying with my Mom), and I decided to make her soup. For Daddy's birthday the past four years I enrolled him in the "goody of the month" club and baked some kind of yummy, scrumptious usually chocolate morsel every 11th... So for Mom this year I enrolled her in the "soup of the month" on the 29th of June. July's soup was a little fresh zucchini ratatoullie thing, but August cried out for

End of the Garden soup. Here's the recipe: sauteed onion (1) and sauteed celery ribs(3) in olive oil until tender, two large cans crushed tomatoes, one can mushrooms, sliced carrots (3), chunked potatoes (4-5 medium), 1-2 T. thyme dried or more if fresh, 2 T. chicken or beef soup base (I used chicken-- it's a lot like boullion if that's what you have), 1 pound crumbled mild breakfast sausage (well-drained), 1 can mixed vegetables, 1/4 c. sugar, 2 c. water, and salt & pepper to taste (I didn't use any this time because the soup base is pretty salty). Simmer in crockpot or a large stockpot for at least one hour. (gets better as you re-heat it).

My little mother has an old, old soup pot that was my grandmother's. It even has a bail to hang over an open fire pit. Just the ticket for her to carry from the fridge to the stove with her walker. I'm amazed at my mom's resourcefulness and determination with that thing. She's used one for about five years now due to osteoporosis. Up until now she's always been cheerful and happy just to be herself and doing for us. Yep. That, my friends, is exactly why I let her do the dishes tonight!

Take care all. Have a good Labor Day weekend. 26 years ago I had a REAL Labor Day weekend. My son was born!!!

1 comment:

Terri Steffes said...

This soup sounds delightful! I will have to try it sometime. Fall says soup to me!