Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Oh, so co-ordinated!



Once upon a time I saw a photo on Alison's Brocante Home blog with color coordinated books. Then later she showed a picture of her own. Well, despite the amount of clutter here and there and the smudges of dust and dirt in my closets and corners, I HAD to do that to some of my books. It was over a year ago when I first dumped my shelves and coded (a little). As you can see, I didn't gradient color the shelves. I get too many new books and read them at random WAY too much for that. My books have been my friends for years and years. I remember waking up in the night when I was first married and living away from home. I called my mom and dad and asked if it was okay to come down to their house at midnight and get a few boxes of my books... Just couldn't sleep well without their soft bindings surrounding me. Each little square inch of book spine represents a whole world... each book is a person, a place ---- Mitford, Avonlea, Narnia, Jo, Laura and Almanzo, or Vianne... If I could give my kids at school even a breath of this love for books, I know their worlds would illuminate, explode with color.... (but would they color code their lockers? Hmmm... Does the word compulsive come to mind?) Got to FLY.... Time for a short shower and school.


5 comments:

a Pocket Angel said...

Gayla, I LOVE how your books look! How pretty..
I understand about clutter and dust, my cottage is full of both!
You sound so much like my 10 year old granddaughter Isabella about books. Isa said to me "Grammy when I have a house I want to have a library to put all my books in". This sweetheart LOVES books, she is never without one.. Because of wonderful teachers like you she has a ture passion for reading. Today she started back to school. When I called her & Sam this morning they were so thrilled to be going back..They have been in my thoughts all day.
Thanks for sharing your pretty photos and for being a teacher!! God bless you.Hope you are doing Ok.
Have a lovely day ~Mary~:-}

Terri Steffes said...

I never thought of color coding my books! I have them sorted by book club! I was/am never without a book. I am constantly reading, in fact I usually have 3-4 books going at the same time!

Julie said...

Oh - i love my books too! Poetry, love stories, gardening, animal care and training, decorating, how to manuels, history, travel and I could go on forever. I had to build my bookshelves 18" deep so that I could put 2 or 3 rows of books on each shelf because I have collected so many.

Tina Leavy said...

now that looks nice. what a clever idea.

FourSistersInACottage said...

Hi Gayla,
How adorable is that!!! I never thought to color coodinate my books. I will have to try it.
I have added you to my favorite blogs to read as I love reading your stories and looking at all of your pictures. You are right up my alley!!!
Thanks for sharing with all of us,
Amy (Mom to the Four Sisters)