Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Impossible Dream


You know, Don Quixote had the right idea.... Be nearsighted, fight anything that moves! No, not really. Another day at school... I have wonderful kids.... a few challenging ones, and a few too many of those at the same time, in the same room, during the last hour of the day... Kind of feels like they have already mentally "got on the bus." But it's only day seven. I have learned to think positively about all kinds of new attempts I make to get things to "g" with them. If it is a successful attempt, I'm pleased, determine to try it again (but not very soon for it won't work always and often). If it isn't too successful, I'm kind of glad to know that, and I mentally file it in "Things not to do again for a while." Today we listened to "Ironic" by Alanis Morrisette to study the irony in "The Sniper" (A sad Irish tale where the sniper ends up shooting his own brother by mistake.) You'd be surprised how many kids said, "This song has that many words? I've never heard them before..." Now, isn't that ironic, Alanis? The premise was good, the laptops were a bit stubborn about going online and Youtube was slaggy.... But it was solid. I'm going to enjoy this evening. Two dear friends are bringing pizza down to my mom and me. This is two weeks since our lives changed forever. It is so kind of people to try to do things to help friends get through it. And I got a new laptop today to use while I'm teaching at this school (one or maybe two years). How cool is that? My ironic story was about Daddy's wedding ring. He had worn it for nearly 57 years when he got so ill and skinny this summer. He lost it and was simply devastated. He searched, retraced his steps, tried everything, called.. no ring. Of course, we had to clean out his car to wash it and get ready for the funeral procession. My son found the ring. It seemed to hard to take, but I am sure he was pleased we found it, and he would have been pleased to know it wasn't lost for good. Irony is sometimes funny, but often just a bit of a stab in the heart... Well, off to make an Italian salad for my friends.... Have a fun night.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

You sound like a great teacher! I can't even imagine how hard it must be to teach teenagers!

I'm so happy you found your dad's ring!

Terri Steffes said...

Neat lesson, for all of us...

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful that you found your Daddy's ring!

I wish my daughter had a teacher like you. You sound very dedicated!

Manuela

Dena said...

I love that you found your Daddy's ring, but I understand completely about the heart tugging.

Hugs to you,
Dena

Julie said...

I love your writting style...and am thrilled that you found the ring. I would have been heartbroken to have lost such a treasure too.

sheila from life @ #17 said...

bless your daddy's heart...I wish he could have found it...but at least it isn't still lost...

Anonymous said...

Your Dad would have been so v pleased that the ring was found some might even say that he was instrumental in it's finding.