Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Post Easter Pinks!

You know it sometimes helps to get a holiday over with... Although I simply adore Easter and all its pretty chicks, bunnies, eggs, and pastels, I am ready to move on with my decorating. It all started because my dad got really sick right before St. Patrick's day. I didn't get the elves and green stuff put away; I didn't get out my beautiful vintage hard plastic 50's bunnies, bunny car, little yellow laying hen, etc... I didn't dye eggs... We didn't even get to have our Easter dinner together. Bah, Humbug! But now, we had a little late get-together on Monday; we exchanged beautiful baskets full of treasures, and I'm all pumped up to redecorate somewhere and to prepare my house for summer.
Today I was noticing some beautiful curtains made of Vintage Tea Towels. I have a beautiful set or two of those made my my mother and grandmother. That is on my maybe list... a simple cleaning and addition of some white lacy doilies in on my definitely list for the bathroom....
And oh, my... Cindy over at Romantic Home blog has simply inspired the daylights out of me. I even wrote about this upcoming (today's) reveal of her bedroom makeover. I think I especially love her blog because of her artistic flair and the fact she doesn't spend a lot on her things. That seems do-able to me, so I'm still inspired after thinking about things. Then, the real reason I adore her blog is that she is single. I, too, am a single Mom, and I sometimes get a little tired, a little envious, and a little bitter about all the "housewifery: blogs that include mention of wonderful husbands, etc.... I am very happy, but still, it is fun to see another woman who is working to make her little cottage beautiful for herself. I know, I know... most women, whether married or not, do all kinds of the beautification process for themselves.... men rarely give a hoot.... They like the cooking better! But, personally, I get pumped up when I see a spread in a magazine and the home is owned and decorated by a single woman. It's kind of like the load isn't so heavy. Companionship for the single soul?
This little beauty drinking from the fountain is by my favorite painter. I have this done by my students as a huge wall mural at my school. Waterhouse... His paintings are luminaries of my soul, and I would love to have them all over my home.... That is my artistic/purchase goal for the year, to obtain one Waterhouse (reproduction, of course), and frame it beautifully for my home. Artistically, personally.... I have many goals. Today's though, must be to clean, to sparkle, to putter, and to refurbish my soul with some gentle touches of lightness and summer. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

just passing threw,love the blog,come on over for a visit

Cindy said...

Hi Gayla, You are so sweet! Yes, us single girls need to stick together! I sometimes get down reading about everyone's wonderful husbands, but then I just remind myself that the grass is not always greener on the other side! I know I would rather be single and happy than married and unhappy! I've been both in my lifetime so I speak from experience.