Saturday, May 1, 2010

Random Actions.... Busy Days....

What you see here are storage facilities for the Biodiesel Fuel Refinery in Macon, our home town. It rests on the eastern edge of Macon, surrounded by the cornfields that provide the grain to make into ethanol. It's called POET, an acronym for something including the word ethanol...
Believe it or not, the President of the United States was a speaker and visitor right here on Wednesday afternoon. It was a closed meeting, but I was able to find a live feed on the computer, so I had it all up on my SmartBoard at school. My sophomores were so excited when they entered the room and found we were able to watch the President in their hometown. I told them it was something that might be once in a lifetime, since no President had been in Macon during my lifetime. One little girl wanted me to take her picture standing by the SmartBoard, but I told her sit down!!! The speech wasn't long enough to take everyone's picture! haha... It was a nice one, and then he took his impressive motorcade through the country on a temporarily closed (for his visit) Highway 36 to a farm where he sat in the kitchen and discussed farming, the economy, and alternate fuels. He also went in to the tiniest little diner you have ever seen and ordered a cheeseburger and fries, paid for the couple of diners who were in there... and visited some small businesses on the sleepy streets of Monroe City, MO.

I am not being political because I just don't roll that way on my blog, but I thought I would share what our town experienced this week that might relate to the rest of you in small towns.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Today, even though it was rainy, Mom wanted to take a drive. She's doing better, and she DOES hate to stay home on a Saturday morning... So we drove over to Mark Twain Lake.... Nothing in bloom through the rain to take photos, but I did get one of our restaurant and the lake...
Delicious chicken strips, broccoli-cheese soup, and salads... This was a nice place to eat with very few customers out in the rain.. We then drove and drove and drove.. I zig-zagged across the state from New London to Bowling Green to Mexico.... to her house... And the weather looks threatening again... So we are cozying down for the evening. Have a fun weekend.

2 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love that the President came to your home town. I agree it is exciting no mater what your political leanings he is the President of the United States! Love you lake also.

Becky K. said...

I am so bad...I wanted to say you must have a huge class if you didn't have time to take all of their photos during his speech...he tends to be longwinded. But, then I just did, didn't I? Guess I am bad.

But I agree that the Commander in Chief in your hometown is always a cool thing...

Glad your mother is feeling better.

Becky K.