Sunday, September 6, 2020

400 Years Ago




Early this week I was up with candles blazing at my kitchen table.  The misty fog hung low, highlighting this --- amber dry corn, simply changed overnight. Then... I saw him (or her)... a beautiful silhouette of an owl. I often hear an owl, but have never seen one perched nearby. About dawn... feathered wings swooped up and disappeared into the fog.


I am starting a stitch-along with several hundred cross stitchers... We are all doing this sweet chart by the designer "Brenda Gervais, with Thy Needle and Thread." Women of the Mayflower - Coming to America is the title.



I am stitching on 18 count fabric. Soooo out of my league and comfort zone and level of ability on this. I have not finished a piece in 30 years! 


However... it just spoke to me... it bears the names of the adult women who set sail on the Mayflower 400 years ago today. The stitch along lasts 66 days, the actual time it took them to arrive here.
We have a Facebook group and share our progress, and we all waited until today to begin!  





This bottom picture is not my work yet! But it is the phrase of the sampler that captured my heart. "We are living in the tomorrow for which they wrought." I love that...


My progress... a little border magic---






Whimsy and Hugs!

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a cool project! Will you hang it up when you are done? Your owl picture is suitable spooky. I knew right away that it is an owl, maybe a Great Horned...

Jeanie said...

The owl is such a blessing. How lucky you were to see this. And I adore your sampler!

Miss Merry said...

I love this sampler! What a terrific group project. Really beautiful. What fun to spot the owl, too.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Your first photos and the words which accompany them......... Delightful! How I would love to have seen this beautiful scene, out my window.

Love mist, and fog ("Dragon's Breath"), and early light, and owls. ~smile~

I don't stitch so I can't appreciate your project. But the last words, are thought provoking.

💛🍁💛🍁💛