Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019

It is officially New Year's Day! So grey and chilled today... A perfect opportunity to have the pot of soup I made yesterday. I hope you and your family entered the new year with health and happiness.



My son's friend came out last night to wish in the new beginning. He has recently moved back to the area and had to spend the holidays apart from his wife and family.

He brought a satchel filled with games. We played Once Upon a Time. It is a game I think could work well for all ages. The English teacher who still lurks in my spirit and inhabits many of my nightly dreams....? She loved it.



I worked all day yesterday to ensure I entered new digits with no laundry... a sure sign you will not be dragging last year's dirt into your life... (although technically the clothes on our backs might qualify as laundry, and my son almost always has a stash not included.) We lit candles in 2018 to leave burning into 2019, bringing the fires of our lives and passion for living right into today. I had to smile at my interpretation/translation of these customs from my dad. He always kept wood cut for a fireplace fire. It was fun for him to "keep" a fire going for the whole winter. I can hear him joking about last year's fire (embers and coals).One year in particular we carried those glowing jewels from the old year right into March. I don't use the fireplace and would need some flue repair to build a good, hot fire. So I just nod to the tradition with some delicious candles instead.

I made a Pioneer Woman iron kettle of Bacon Cheeseburger Soup. It will really fill the bill for today's blustery sub-freezing day. I made it with what I had on hand. -----Chicken broth, hamburger, Velveeta, dried hash browns (which I love and recommend), bacon pieces, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, sour cream, and flour/water... 





My cat and my son are both sleeping in. With very little persuasion I could easily start the year with a "bit of a lie-in" as well. (My English friends call it that if they stay in  bed past usual time.)

I enjoyed a delicious cup of tea from Mt. Carmel in Israel. It was brought to me by a dear friend as a souvenir from her recent trip there. So, it begins. Hello, 2019. Be kind. 


Whimsy and Hugs!

1 comment:

Miss Merry said...

Wonderful way to begin the new year! My daughter in law makes the most delicious cheeseburger soup, too. Your looks amazing. I may have to purchase that card game. My grandchildren are getting old enough to play along and it sounds like a great addition to family events.