Thursday, December 10, 2009

Be careful what you wish for. . .

This little girl isn't the only one who gets to sit by the fire today. I just felt under the weather all night and all early wee hours morning, so I took a day off from school. Thought I'd show a bit of our holiday decorating as it unfolds. I think our goal has become to finish decorating by December 24th!!! Don't you recall hearing about homes in beautiful old novels that didn't have decorated tree until December 24th? Well, we're not there exactly, but... that elusive dream of a home well appointed by early December, all gifts bought and wrapped, holiday baking done and tucked away in pretty tins.... fahgittabouttit! These lovely antique children are a sweet gift from one of the most magical women I've ever known. Now with the Lord, a sweet doll-lady friend had inspiration sparkling from her fingertips and light dancing from her crinkly, smiling, bluer-than-blue eyes. Her name was Mabel, and we loved her with all our hearts. When my mother was ill with cancer the first time in the 80's, Mabel dressed these dolls and placed them in a big shadow-box frame made for a hair wreath or something like that. The back has a French snowscene paper.. I think my mother helped with that, and they both had bought identical frames together at an auction. Apparently the Victorians kept the hair from a loved one and had it woven into a wreath? It must have been a special thing for them, but I don't know. >>>>>>???????>>>>>>>> Well, I have my grandmother's long brown hair, but it was cut when she was a young girl, an entire, long, thick braid in a box. She lived a long and happy life after the "shearing." Still, sometimes I see that little "recoil" in my listener's eyes as I tell about my box of chestnut brown hair! So...

Our mantel area... kind of cluttery, but possibly as tidy as we shall get for a few days. My son helped decorate the mantel, and I see his taste for the "sparse," as he brought in only two large Santas from the North... Or, is it his penchant to be "finished before we start" that created that spare look? Anyway, I kind of relish the simplicity of the mantel. The garland is actually two really long-needled and beautiful ones woven together. They cost a fortune, and they totally make the look. The candles are battery-operated jar candles from QVC. I love it that they pop on at 6 o'clock every night and go off at midnight. Timers... no flames... that lovely glow... I'm enchanted by technology when it comes in decanters such as this...

So, we're doing a big Christmas Card writing extravaganza today.. I feel like having a cup of Earl Grey tea or Harney and Son's Holiday tea. My beautiful friend sells both of those in her little store next to mine, My Cup of Tea. Tomorrow, Katie Scarlett, is another day.... OF SCHOOL! hahaha..

3 comments:

Megan said...

I saw you had a sub today, and I hope you feel better soon! And, tell your helpful son that I think he did a lovely job decorating the mantle!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I like it all. have a great weekend..m.

Tyler said...

As long as the tree's decorated by the 24th and your christmas cards are written out by the 28th, you'll be ok.. lol :)